Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"You gotta do what's important"


My motorcycle sits in the garage, awaiting a new stator. It's been there for several months. Every time I walk in I swear it glares at me. There's this guy I know (not because I want to), who quits jobs on a regular basis. Yesterday, he came by the house and we had a conversation out by the garage:

Him: When you gonna get the scooter running?

Me: I don't really know. It's not a priority, right now.

Him: Yeah, it is, man. Summer's comin'! It's ridin' season!

Me: I know. Right now I'm focused on the business I started about a year ago. That's where my time and energy are going these days. Once it's solid I'll have time to ride a lot.

Him: *shaking his head* You gotta do what's important.

Me: I am

Him: *walks off, laughing and still shaking his head*

So, why is it that so many people:
  1. Say they are unhappy in their jobs
  2. Say they would like to own their own business, and
  3. Treat you like you're stupid when you do what owning a business requires?

2 comments:

  1. So, why is it that so many people:

    Say they are unhappy in their jobs
    Say they would like to own their own business, and
    Treat you like you're stupid when you do what owning a business requires?


    Ergo, why they are still working for someone else or unemployed or lose their ass on their own business because they didn't do what was needed to keep the business going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victims of social pressure; this story is as old as the fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper.
    Too many people are accepting putting pleasure before work; look at how few people are prepared for any -- and I mean any -- disruption in business as usual.

    Not even 3 days worth of food, water or money in the house.

    Everyone expects nothing will go wrong and they can get what they want by just showing up; after all that is what the modern education system has been teaching for decades.

    ReplyDelete